Helllooo world! I know many of you may be thinking "how is Natalie able to be on the iPad typing right now?"...I'm feeling great! Mostly because the femoral nerve block is still in effect. Surgery began at 10:20am and I came to around 12:00pm! Prior to surgery I got vAlium which didn't have a huge loopy effect on me but the anesthesiologist (sexier than my doctor!!!) said it would feel like I had 4 margaritas-without the calories-which I'm all about!! After the Valium he went to give me a nerve block in my femoral nerve. The external iliac artery and vein are grouped with the femoral nerve in the pelvic region but he had a hard time finding the nerve via a pulse from the artery because my blood pressure was so low! All of the doctors/nurses were impressed that my blood pressure was so healthy, 97/58, except the anesthesiologist clearly wasn't fond of it ;).
Once I got the nerve block they rolled me back into the operating room where it had to haveprobably definitely been 37 degrees max! They wrapped me up in many warm blankets, strapped my arms and legs and core down to the bed, and took my pulse again--they asked if I was a runner!! "YUP and I'll be running out of here." The other anesthesiologist (I seriously had 4 nurses, 2 anesthesiologists, and 1 doc) told me to think of my favorite place as he put the gas mask on me-naturally I thought of the mountains at JMU with all my lovely friends :) andennnn I was out!
And then I started dreaming--although I can't recall exactly what about. Andennnn I woke up IN THE OPERATING ROOM! Which freaked me out at first but as soon as I saw that my knee was wrapped up and in a brace I knew surgery had been completed. I popped my head up above all 62 blankets I had on and said, very brightly, "how did it go?!?!" My doctor and anesthesiologist laughed and said they've never seen anyone that perky RIGHT after surgery and told my mom that it was almost bizarre :). I'm still not sure if I should be upset about waking up in the OR instead of the Stage 1 recovery room or if I should be pumped that the anesthesiologist was so stellar at his job that his perfect dose allowed me to wake up as surgery had juuuuust ended!
I was rolled into the Stage 1 post-op recovery room where everyone as surprised how well I was doing: no nausea, totally coherent, ready for some ice chips, ready to get dressed, and ready to leave! I think I stayed there for about 10 minutes and rated my pain level at 4 to the nurses..and then it went up to a 6 shortly after so they gave me a percocet and rolled me over to Stage 2 recovery where my mom as allowed to come in! The nurse asked me if I wanted anything to eat and said that she had "Grahams" and...who wouldn't respond to that with "Teddy's?!?" So... I got some plain Graham cracks in my stomach, which I was a little nervous about because after my last surgery eating made me feel very nauseous! 30 minutes later after talking to a few nurses and my doctor we were free to go! Mom drove me home and I am posted up in my parents bedroom currently which turned out to be a better idea than any of my previous options (see 'pre traumatic stress disorder' post below)! I've got Netflix, memory foam, and a bathroom that I could hop to if I'm feeling ambitious ;).
Because of the femoral nerve block, the pain has only been localized to the back of the knee and I just recently began feeling pain below the anterior of my knee-perhaps because I have a hole drilled through my tibia?! In any event I have medicine to tame nausea and need to start taking more pain meds when this nerve block wears off-I can feel it happening. I've been eating fine, moms homemade chicken soup and lots of veggies/nuts!!
The doctor said tomorrow will be the worst day of pain for me, which im not looking forward to but am trying to stay positive about! I won't have knee pics up until Friday because the physical therapist has to take the wrapping off and I see her Friday..but my mom took pics today that I'll put up as soon as I feel up to dealing with all that!
Honestly this blogging is going to keep me sane through the pain right now and with the more intense pain I will be feeling the rest of the week. Knowing that you all are reading keeps my spirits up and makes me feel very supported/not alone. You all are like pain meds, but better, mentally! I appreciate all of your support and good wishes :)
About to take the strongest pain med and watch Despicable Me with the rents and then logging out (as seen said by Tim Bugge :)). Sorry I'm not sorry if I fall asleep in my parents bedroom and they have to sleep in the guest room? ;)
Love y'all! Hope this post isn't obnoxiously long I can't see it all. :):):):):)
Oh! Also, apparently my ACL tore closer to my femur so he was able to strap it up with my new ACL for more support/strength... AWESOME! Let's all pray that I'm this perky tomorrow, if I don't blog that's how you know that isn't the case :(
Glad to hear the surgery went well...I dealt with a broken femur in high school, but no blog to track progress :(
ReplyDelete"So it had to be attached to a whale, right?!"
Hahahaha! I wish I could "like" comments on here!
ReplyDelete